Desso, the global carpets, carpet tiles and sports pitches company has picked up the 2013 Environmentally Friendly Flooring Product Award in South Africa for its DESSO AirMaster® carpet, which has been designed to reduce the amount of potentially damaging fine dust in the indoor environment. Organised by the specialist South African magazine, FLOORS the award is given to the company with the most environmentally responsible product.
Desso's corporate vision is inspired by the insight that people spend 90% of their time indoors. The company's vision is to add greater value to its products to ensure they contribute to health and wellbeing. The DESSO AirMaster® carpet has a special design which has made it eight times more effective than hard floors at retaining fine dust and four times more effective than regular carpets1). It offers a real practical function, helping to clear offices, schools, care centres and so on of fine dust which can cause serious respiratory and heart conditions including asthma. This may contribute to better attendance rates for office workers, teachers and others and greater productivity levels.
“We are delighted to be given this recognition for the DESSO AirMaster® carpet. The popularity of the DESSO AirMaster® product around the world reinforces our determination to continue producing products that meet key social needs and have the potential to significantly improve health and wellbeing. It is, therefore, thrilling to receive this award.”
Andre Dulka, Desso’s Regional Director for the Middle East, Africa and the India region
In its entry, Desso's listed additional ways in which the product is eco-friendly:
- Eco-effective: designed in such a way that it is positive to human health and the environment;
- It consists of positively defined2) materials that have been stringently analysed to maximise the positive impact of the product on human health and the environment. This is part of the company's commitment to designing products that can be returned and the materials recycled in a healthy way, according to Cradle to Cradle® principles;
- The EcoBase™ backing for Desso's carpet tiles in its commercial business (developed according to Cradle to Cradle® human health and environment assessment criteria) contains a polyolefin layer that is 100% safely recyclable in Desso's production process;
- The DESSO AirMaster® contains regenerated nylon material known as ECONYL® produced by one of its key suppliers Aquafil;
- The DESSO AirMaster® with EcoBase™ backing has a Silver Cradle to Cradle® Certificate denoting the fact that the company has attained high standards in usage of renewable energy, water stewardship, social fairness, material health and material reutilisation.
1) Based on tests performed by
GUI with DESSO AirMaster® versus standard PVC hardfloor and
structured loop pile carpet.
2) Positively defined = all ingredients have been assessed as either Green (optimal) or Yellow (tolerable) according to the Cradle to Cradle® assessment criteria. As described in the Cradle to Cradle® Certification Program Version 2.1.1, prepared by MBDC September 2008, updated January 2010.